Dental fillings are a vital part of preventative and restorative dental care. At Family Dental Associates, Dr. Tracy Sullivan and Dr. Peter Grieser in Port Orchard, WA, can help answer your questions.
Why You Should Consider Dental Fillings
After the decay is removed from inside the tooth, fillings replace the damaged part of the tooth. These fixes allow you to eat and speak normally. Fillings also prevent teeth from shifting and protect permanent teeth below the gumline by preventing an abscess.
Want to avoid amalgam?
Your Port Orchard dentist understands if you want other options. Here are some other materials you may consider:
- Composite fillings - This is a mixture of acrylic resin and finely ground glass-like particles. It's durable and resistant to fracture.
- Ionomers - These tooth-colored materials are made of acrylic acids and fine glass powders that fill cavities. An interesting aspect of ionomers is that they release fluoride to help prevent decay.
- Porcelain dental materials - These are ceramic dental materials used as inlays, onlays, crowns and aesthetic veneers. It's a very thin shell of porcelain that replaces or covers enamel and is highly resistant to wear.
- The dentist cleans the surface of the tooth using a cleaning agent then removes the cleaning agent.
- They then apply a gel or etching solution and rinse it off after 15 seconds.
- When the tooth is dry, the filling material is applied and hardened using a curing light.
Need to contact a dentist?
For more information about fillings restoring damaged teeth, contact Dr. Tracy Sullivan and Dr. Peter Grieser in Port Orchard, WA. Call Family Dental Associates at (360) 895-4321 today.